If the windows in your home are really old, there is a good chance they are single-pane windows. Single-pane windows are the least-efficient type of window you can have, because they contain only one sheet of glass. Getting rid of your single-pane windows could be a wise investment, because this will allow you to select new windows that operate much more efficiently. Here are three important things to know as you make the decision to replace your windows.
What's Wrong With Single-Pane Windows?
Single-pane windows are the most affordable type of window you can purchase, because they require the least amount of material. The problem with single-pane windows is they do not stop airflow very well, but that is not the only issue they have. Single-pane windows also:
- Do not block out sound very well
- Are drafty because they do not have any insulation
- Cause a home to lose a lot of energy, which can result in higher energy bills
You may be interested in replacing your windows to make your home less drafty and more energy-efficient, but you should also realize that replacing your windows has other benefits too.
What Are The Benefits Of Window Replacement?
There are several key benefits offered through window replacement, including:
- Your house will look nicer – If your windows look old or have cracks in them, replacing them can only make your house look better. This can improve curb appeal, which may be really important if you are planning on selling your home in the near future.
- Your house will go up in value – Window replacement is a great investment to make on a house, because the return on investment (ROI) for windows is very high. The National Association of Realtors reports that replacing your windows offers an ROI of 70% or higher. This means that your house value will increase by 70% of the amount you spend on your new windows.
- Your energy bills may decrease – Finally, you can expect to save some money on your energy bills after your new windows are installed. You might save up to $465 per year on your energy costs just by replacing your single-pane windows.
New windows are beneficial, but you will have to decide which type of windows to choose.
Which Type Should You Choose?
For most people, the cost of the new windows is one of the determining factors in deciding which type to choose. While there are several good options, a common one people choose is double-pane windows.
Double-pane windows stop airflow more than single pane windows because of the way they are designed. A double-pane window:
- Contains two sheets of glass – This means the surface is thicker, which can help stop heat loss and sound from getting through.
- Has gas in between the two sheets of glass – The gas used for this is normally argon, and it acts as a layer of insulation to help stop heat loss even more.
Another option you could choose is triple-pane windows. These have three layers of glass, with two spaces filled with gas in between. While these windows may be more efficient than double-pane windows, they are also more costly. On average, a triple-pane window is around $100 more than a double-pane window.
Replacing the windows in your home is a good project to consider doing if you currently have single-pane windows. Your house will not only look nicer, but it will also be more energy-efficient. To get a quote for new windows, or to learn more about your options, contact a contractor that offers house windows in your area. You can also visit sites like http://www.randkaz.com to learn more.